The Citizen’s Police Academy
The Green Bay Police Department’s Citizen’s Police Academy is designed to give participants a better understanding of the functions, operations and objectives of the police Department. The goal is to build a positive relationship between the Green Bay Police Department and community members. This training is designed to be interactive and is a combination of lecture and hands on. This course is not intended to be a stepping stone for those hoping to pursue a police career, but it is intended to produce informed citizens.
The Academy consists of ten 2 ½ hour sessions that meet on Wednesday from 6:00-8:30pm. The academy starts in late August and runs through early November. Topics include; Dive Team/ Harbor Patrol, Animal Control, Community Policing, Patrol Operations/ OWI enforcement, Investigations/ CSI, Drugs, Use of Force, Firearms, Taser, K-9, SWAT, Juvenile/ SRO and Crime Prevention. All instructors are sworn personnel and civilian employees who are very knowledgeable in the topic discussed. During class participants are encouraged to ask questions, enter into discussion and give feedback to the department. Graduates are encouraged to continue their involvement with the department by volunteering with our Crime Prevention Unit. Academy participants are also encouraged to participate in the Green Bay Police Department ride along program.
Applications and waivers are on the Green Bay Police Department web site.
Who can attend the Green Bay Police Department Citizens Academy?
- Anyone who is 18 years of age or older may apply (Green Bay residents are given preference)
- Citizens with no felony arrests or convictions
- Be willing to submit to a background check administered by the Green Bay Police Department.
- Be willing to sign a waiver of liability.
- Our goal is to open the class to a group of approximately 25 citizens every year.
When will the next class be held?
- The next Citizen’s Academy is scheduled to start Oct 9, 2013 and will run through December 18, 2013.
Where will the classes be held?
- Classes will be held at the Green Bay Police Department, 307 S. Adams St. in the training center. One session will be held at the municipal boat launch at the mouth of the Fox River.
Where do I get an application for the next class?
Who do I contact for more information?
- Sherry Bosar – 448-3234
- Lt. Jeff Brester – 448-3082