Please find 2020 Swim Lessons schedules and information here.
- All swim lessons will be held at Colburn Pool.
- Parents will be required to be in the water for our beginner classes (levels 1A, 1B and 2). Instructors will teach from the deck and instruct parents on how to hold and assist their children in the water.
- Instructors will be providing instruction of ALL levels out of the water and on the pool deck to reduce contact and further risk of exposure. (They may hop in the water on occasion to demo a new skill)
- Participants should come to the pool swim-ready and avoid locker rooms, if possible.
- All spectators should use physical distancing rules. Pool chairs will NOT be available to our participants. Please bring your own or plan on sitting on the ground.
- Participants outside of the pool are encouraged to wear masks when speaking to staff.
- Group Lessons $22 Residents/$33 for Non-residents.
- Private Lessons $48 Residents/$72 Non-residents-Not Available Summer 2020
- Semi-Private Lessons $36 Residents/$54 Non-Residents-Not Available Summer 2020
Register online or call 920-448-3365.
Inclement Weather Policy
We do not cancel outdoor swim lessons in the summer due to inclement weather. The instructors will offer a safety lesson.
Indoor lessons will be cancelled if there is a school cancellation. Parents will be notified via email.
Swim Level Descriptions
Parent-Child (6 months to 3 years)
Adult accompanies the child in the water. Skills taught: enter & exit water safely, submerge face, explore buoyancy on front & back, change body position in water. This class does not teach child to be water safe, but is an intro to the water environment.
Level 1A (Ages 3 and 4)
No previous experience. Skills: blowing bubbles, bobbing, entering and exiting water, floats, kicks, swimming on front with assistance, safety skills, These students can pass to Level 1B with instructor approval only.
Level 1B (Ages 5 & Up)
No previous experience. Skills: blowing bubbles, bobbing, entering and exiting water, floats, kicks, swimming on front with assistance, safety skills, These students pass to Level 2.
Student must have passed Level 1 skills. Skills: submerge and hold breath, floats, glides, kicks, swim on front and back without assistance (5 yards), safety skills.
Student must have passed Level 2 skills. Skills: front crawl and backstroke 15 yards, elementary backstroke 15 yards, glides, sitting and kneeling dives, treading water 30 seconds, water safety skills.
Student must have passed Level 3 skills. Skills: front and back crawl 25 yards, elementary backstroke, breaststroke and sidestroke with scissor kick, breaststroke 15 yards, rotary breathing, turns, diving, safety skills.
Student must have passed Level 4 skills. Skills: front and back crawl 50 yards, elementary backstroke 25 yards, dolphin kick, breaststroke and sidestroke 15 yards, treading water, shallow diving, safety skills.
Student must have passed Level 5 skills. Skills: front and back crawl 100 yards, breaststroke and sidestroke 25 yards, butterfly 15 yards, open & flip turns. Tread water & “specialty skills.
Student must have passed Level 6 skills. Front crawl 200 yards, back crawl 100 yards, breaststroke and sidestroke 50 yards. Swim 500 yards continuously, rescue skills.
Move at your own pace in this class designed for ages 14 & over. Attention is given to individual skills. Small class size will maximize your learning experience. Class meets twice per week (4 dates for 1 hour). First session is FREE for City residents!
YMCA Red Cross conversions:
Pike (3-6 yrs) = 1A Eel (3-6 yrs) = 1A Ray (3-6 yrs) = Level 2 Starfish (3-6 yrs) = Level 3 Polliwog (6+ yrs) = Level 1B Guppy = Level 2 Minnow = Level 3 Fish & Flying Fish = Level 4 Skilled Flying Fish = Level 5 Shark = Level 6