Green Bay Police Department

Animal Control

Green Bay Police Department Animal Control Team

Lost a Pet? / Found a Pet?
Lost and Found pets in the city of Green Bay should be reported to the Green Bay Police Department, by calling (920) 448-3201. We maintain a listing of all such animals in an effort to reunite pets with their familes.
The Green Bay Press Gazette will also place FREE ads for lost and found pets in their newspaper. Please call 1-888-774-7744 to place such an ad.
Stray animals found in the City of Green Bay are brought to our contracted animal care facility, Wisconsin Humane Society-Green Bay, located at 1830 Radisson St. Green Bay, WI 54302. You can search for your missing pet on their website or you can call them at (920) 469-3110.
The Green Bay Police Department responded to 5,814 animal calls for service from January 2016-2017.

How to Contact Animal Control[back to top of page]
For emergency situations where an animal is in immediate danger, or situations that need to be addressed the same day, contact the Green Bay Police at (920) 448-3201. For non-emergency matters, or ongoing situations in need of long term solutions, Brown Co. Dispatch Center (920) 391-7450. You can also email Animal Control Officer Mallory Meves here.

Support Animal Abuse / Domestic Violence Prevention [back to top of page]
Did you know there is a verifiable link between domestic violence and animal abuse? Nationwide surveys have shown that 80% of abused women will not leave an abusive relationship where a beloved pet is concerned out of fear of what will happen to the animal when they leave.
The Green Bay Police Department Animal Control Team is developing a number of initiatives to reduce and prevent animal cruelty and associated domestic violence. Your support will assist with programs such as:
  • Creation of Educational Presentations and Materials for school children
  • Discounted Spaying and Neutering of Pets

About Animal Control [back to top of page]

Animal Control Officer Mallory Meves and 3 Animal Control Interns are responsible for monitoring the welfare of domestic and wild animals and ensuring the safety of citizens from animal annoyance or other animal contacts that pose health risks. Their tasks include retrieving and/or trapping animals at-large, transporting injured animals, and investigating animal bites and cruelty/neglect cases. The officer is empowered to issue citations for violations of the city ordinances and state statutes when mediation attempts fail.
The implementation of Animal Control Interns is a leading edge development and is the first program of its type in the nation. The National Animal Control Association is involved in assessing our progress for sharing these ideas with other law enforcement agencies nationwide.
The animal control officer works closely with other governmental agencies, such as the City/County Health Department, and local Inspection Departments, as well as local agencies such as the Humane Society, and the Bay Beach Wildlife Sanctuary.

Legislative Action [back to top of page]
Support New Legislation 2015 Wisconsin Senate Bill LRB-1421/1: Vicious Dogs and Prohibiting Possession of Vicious Animals by Felony Offenders Read LRB-1421/1 here. The bill proposed with Sharon Hensen's assistance is being sponsored by Senator Dave Hansen. Email Senator Hansen at to support this important legislation.

Laws and Ordinances Pertaining to Animals [back to top of page]
See Chapter 8 of the Green Bay Municipal Code for the full text of all Animal Related Ordinances
Animal Ordinance Highlights
Ordinance 8.04 Keeping of Exotic Animals Prohibited (a) Exotic Animal. Those species of animal that are not domesticated by humans. Exotic animals include, but are not limited to, animals belonging to any or all of the orders and families on the Prohibited Animal List as adopted by the Common Council. Some exotic animals prohibited by this ordinance include: bats, deer, bears, most snakes, scorpions, etc. If you are not sure if an animal is allowable, contact the animal control officer or review the full text of Ordinance 8.04 .
Ordinance 8.08(3) NUMBER OF DOGS LIMITED. (a) No family shall own, harbor, or keep in its possession more than two dogs on any residentially-zoned lot without the prior approval of the Council, except that a litter of pups or a portion of a litter may be kept for not more than eight weeks from birth. If more than one family resides on a residential lot, then only two dogs shall be allowed on the residential lot unless the prior approval is obtained from the Council. For the purpose of this section, the term "family" shall be defined as one or more persons.
Ordinance 8.09(3) NUMBER OF CATS LIMITED. No person shall own, harbor, or possess more than three cats on any lot zoned as residential, with the exception that a litter of kittens, or a portion of a litter, may be kept for not exceeding eight weeks from birth. If more than one family resides on any lot, the party exceeding the limitation imposed by this section is in violation thereof.
Ordinance 8.105(2) DANGEROUS DOGS PROHIBITED. (a) Possession of a Dangerous Dog Prohibited. No person shall own, keep, possess, return to, or harbor a dangerous dog within the City. (b) Penalty. Any person who owns, keeps, possesses, harbors, or returns any dangerous dog to the City, after it has been declared to be dangerous by owner’s omission, quasi-judicial hearing, or appeal, shall be subject to a forfeiture of not less than $500 nor more than $1,000.

Spay and Neuter Discount Program

If you have a pet and your combined household income is at or below $35,000 per year, you may be eligible to recieve a certificate for a discount on having your pet spayed or neutered. The certificate is valid for a $50 discount from any participating veterinarian when having your pet spayed or neutered. Certificates will be available starting on or about December 15, 2007.
Eligibility Requirements:
  • Combined household income at or below $35,000 / year
  • Green Bay Residency
  • 1 discount certificate per household per year
To apply for a discount certificate:
  • Go to the City Treasurer's Office located at City Hall, 100 N. Jefferson Street
  • Bring Valid Driver's License, Wisconsin ID, or proof of Green Bay residency
  • Bring proof of combined household income such as previous year's tax return or W-2
GBPD Animal Control would like to thank participating veterinarians:

Green Bay Police Department
307 S. Adams Street
Green Bay, WI 54301